Features and Exhibits

The Fort Crawford Museum encompasses three buildings of exhibits on local and medical history, and won the 2013 Museum Exhibit Award from the Wisconsin Historical Society for a new exhibit on the Swift U.S. Army Hospital and the Civil War. Regular tours are self-guided, with information available in the visitor center.

The Fort Crawford Hospital ward room is complete with neatly-made beds and bedside implements.
Restored 1830s Ward Room
The shelves at the museum's 19th Century Pharmacy are covered with glass bottles and colorful patent medicines.
19th Century Pharmacy

Fort Crawford Military Hospital

The Military Hospital is the only remaining structure from the second Fort Crawford. It offered care for sick and wounded soldiers beginning in 1831. Dr. William Beaumont, the post surgeon, helped found the modern study of medicine when he researched digestion at the fort during the 1830s. Although the fort buildings fell into disrepair in the late nineteenth century, a portion of the hospital building was reconstructed with original materials on its original foundations during the 1930s. It is a registered National Historic Landmark. The building contains several exhibits, including:

Outboard motors, historic photos, pearl buttons and machinery make up the clamming exhibit at the Museum of Prairie du Chien.
Clamming on the Mississippi River

The Museum of Prairie du Chien

The Museum of Prairie du Chien is a modern building with exhibits on the historic development of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin's second oldest city. A few of our current exhibit topics are listed below:

Visitor Center

The Visitor Center includes the ticket office, visitor information, and a museum store, which carries a wide variety of gifts and books on local history. The Visitor Center also contains a library with books on medical history.